NFL Game-Day Party Ideas
Many patient fans have been biding their time waiting for Football Season to begin. They have tolerated pre-season, participated in their Fantasy Football League Drafts, researched and read up on all the latest gossip about their favorite teams and players. All this in preparation for the 2015 Football Season.
Festival Wine and Spirits has some great ideas that will help you get ready for kickoff, and that you can use throughout the season. These food and drink recipes paired with your best friends and family will ensure a fun and memorable season. Festival Wine and Spirits has some inspiration that will help you get ready for kickoff, and that you can use throughout the season.
Food or Drink Theme Party
One of the easiest game day party ideas is to have food or drink themed party. Guests will usually ask what to bring to your party. If you keep the theme simple and easy and let your guests use their imagination, it could be fun to see how they interpret your idea.
There are a variety of appetizer, main entree and dessert dip ideas. You may want to designate certain people to bring a dish from each category. This them would be great for house celebrations or tailgates. The possibilities are deliciously endless. Here is a suggestion for a yummy dessert dip, perfect for the Autumn.
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 24 apple slices
Place first 3 ingredients in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add syrup and cinnamon, and beat until smooth. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Serve with apple.
This could also be tasty served with ginger snaps, pretzels, vanilla wafer cookies, or graham crackers.
Ask your guests to bring a variety of hot and cold, savory and sweet sandwiches. Consider variations, or straight up versions of old school lunch favorites: fluffer-nutters, brie with artisan ham, fresh crunchy peanut butter and jelly. Remember Sloppy Joes? Here is a hot and sweet interpretation of a childhood favorite.
Cola Sloppy Joe Dogs
- 1 medium-size red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground round
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup spicy, fruity cola soft drink (such as Dr Pepper)
- 1/2 cup jarred sliced pepperoncini salad pepper
- Ground red pepper
- 8 hot dog buns or hoagie rolls
- Store-bought coleslaw
1. Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until onions are caramel colored.
2. Add ground beef to skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, 5 to 6 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
3. Return beef mixture to skillet. Stir in tomato paste and next 2 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture thickens and color darkens. Stir in cola and 1/2 cup water, and cook, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in pepperoncini peppers; add salt and red pepper to taste.
4. Serve beef mixture immediately on buns with coleslaw.
There is a variety of cocktails that guests can pre-make and carry along to the party, depending upon the time of the party and whether you are tailgating or home. If it is cold outside consider a spiked warm mulled cider, if it is and early game think about a pitcher of spicy Bloody Marys. Orange and Grapefruit Crushes easy to make, and are always a crowd pleaser.
Here is an easy recipe for a delicious grapefruit crush, now mind you this is for a single serving, so just multiply the measurements accordingly for how many will be at the party.
In a tall glass filled with ice:
- 2oz of Grapefruit Vodka (like Finlandia Grapefruit or Absolut Ruby Red)
- 1/2 oz Triple Sec
- 1/2 fresh squeezed pink grapefruit, or ruby red grapefruit juice
- top with lemon-lime soda
- garnish with grapefruit wedges
Hard Cider or Craft Beer Party
What could be easier than heading to the liquor store and picking up a six pack of the Cider or Seasonal Beer your have been dying to taste? Suggest that everyone bring a sixpack of Craft Beer or Hard Cider. Request that upon arriving everyone put their treasure into the communal cooler or tub or fridge. Encourage everyone to try something new. If you wanted, you could even make a secret ballot where everyone votes on their favorite. Tally up the votes at the end of the game for fun.
The knowledgeable staff at Festival Wine and Spirits can answer all your questions, and even make suggestions about the best deals and latest products. Stop in today for everything you need for your NFL Game Day Party.
If you have any questions or are looking for suggestions for drinks to accompany your game day celebration, come into Festival Wine and Spirits in Annapolis. Our knowledgeable staff is here to help. Also, make sure you check out our weekly specials, might just find something perfect for celebrating a win!